About 80% of Chilliwack households are located in urban or suburban areas. Housing development originated in Chilliwack proper, on the north side of the highway. Then growth spread south through the Sardis-Vedder corridor and up the hillsides, south of the highway. As much of Chilliwack’s land is protected and reserved for agricultural land, growth across the valley floor remains limited.

There are about 35,758 households in Chilliwack with an average household size of 2.6 persons. About 60% of households are one-family only households. About 61% have one to two persons, and the remaining 39% have three or more persons. About 36% of households have children at home.

About 70% of all properties in Chilliwack are owned, which is higher than the BC average. Of the existing housing stock, 50% are single family detached, 21% are apartments, and about 24% are semi-detached houses, townhouses, or duplexes.

There are about 8,000 rented dwellings in Chilliwack. Average monthly shelter cost for a one bedroom rental unit is $1,300 per month. For a three bedroom unit, average rent is $2,395 per month. There are about 10 subsidized developments for seniors or low income families in Chilliwack.

The city of Chilliwack has a 2021 population of approximately 100,580, including First Nation communities within city boundaries. Chilliwack has seen steady growth over the past five years, adding approximately 8,670 residents (9.4%) over this period, and a similar growth rate is expected over the next 5 years.

Chilliwack is the second-fastest growing CMA (Census Metropolitan Area) in Canada with a growth rate of 11.2 percent over the last census period (2016-2021).